Tuesday, June 10, 2014

IPYG: Visiting National Cemetery with Children on Memorial Day

IPYG: Visiting National Cemetery with Children on Memorial Day


Today, June 6th is one of Korean Holidays which is Memorial Day. 
I went to the National Cemetery of the military and the police with my students. People admire the memories of soldiers have fought for our nation and died in wars.

On Memorial Day, some consider it just a public holiday and others do it a missing day when it wad buried in their heart.
So did I. I thought it was just a holiday without inspiration.



When I entered the National Cemetery with my students, my heart became sad.
'They were beloved young men in their families and had so many dreams..'
They had passed away so young for my country.
A kid of my class asked to me why wars happened.

In this moment, I could not say anything.
"Wars are bad. 
You and other teachers always tell us not to fight with one another.", she said.
I was thinking how to explain. 'Should I tell her that there are some ideological differences or selfishness in the world?'
But I just couldn't say anything.



Even the kids know war itself is a scar that can never be indelible.
They learned how sad war is and wish it won't happen in the future.
I thought we should love peace and practice peace our lives in order not to hand down wounded hearts to out future children.

Because I am a member of IPYG, I am sure we can make it. 
 IPYG (International Peace Youth Group) will lead the path of peace.
As drops of water falling slowly one by one can make a piece of paper wet, each try of each person for peace will make our world change.
I hope that you who are reading this article can be a part of a peace maker by joining IPYG.



Written by Daisy Yoon
IPYG Jeonju

5 comments:

  1. An endless dropping penetrates the stone!
    Let's make peace by joining IPYG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all children need to understand how cruel the war was.
    It is becuz they can realize there must be no war anymore by doing so.
    you did great job! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they should learn how important to make peaceful world. Thank you for sharing your idea!!

      Delete
  3. I would like to share your writing with other people.

    ReplyDelete